Tuesday 28 September 2021

Problem Solving

I completed a math problem using place value.

I first highlighted the keywords that are in the problem which was: A candy store put 8 jars of lollies for a guessing competition. Each jar contained 76 lollies. How many lollies are there altogether?

The first step was to multiplied the ones. 8 x 6 = 48.

Next I multiplied the tens. 8 x 70 = 560.

Afterwards I combined both answers altogether. 560 + 48 = 608.

I was struggling a little bit because the questions was to big to solve and to figure out the answer but in the end I found out what the answer was.



1 comment:

  1. Hello Emmanuel

    Nice work. 8 x 75 is not times tables though. That one could be solved like the following.

    8 x 7 = 56
    56 x 10 = 560
    8 x 6 = 48

    560 + 48 = 608

    Do you see how I used the times tables? The only time I didn't use times tables was when multiplying by 10. Multiplying by 10, 100, or 1000 etc is easy enough because it is just moving place values.

    Your written algorithm is incorrect.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.